Monday, July 21, 2014

Frost Cupcake Factory (Dessert/Bakery), Campbell, CA

"I've never met a problem a proper cupcake couldn't fix." - Sarah Ockler

Cupcakes are, in short, the best sweet on Earth. They're personal, portable, delectable, and affordable, a fearsome foursome of positive attributes usually reserved for donuts, bacon, and puppies (not the delectable part... ew). Each cake, when done right, features big flavors, creamy frosting, and a heaping spoonful of creativity, the latter of which opens the door to infinite flavor combinations. All the above praise comes from a guy who whole heartedly hated cupcakes until stepping into a little place called Frost Cupcake Factory in downtown Campbell.


The establishment, a pink and brown wonderland of cup-based treats, converted me into a lover months ago, but I didn't get around to documenting my new-found adoration until today. Perhaps I was embarrassed, shy, or simply in sheer disbelief, a disbelief eradicated by my follow-up visits to Frost. My first time, I opted for the childish, yet sinfully delicious Cookies 'N Cream, a chocolate cake covered in thick butter cream frosting layered with crushed Oreos. Though admittedly simple, the sweet was perfectly crafted, with textbook frosting and a light, soft cake balancing each other out. Try two I went for the slightly more sophisticated Lemon Meringue. Frost came through again, crafting an excellent, authentic Meringue (a la the famous cake), not a knock off vanilla cream sprinkled with citrus. The mound of frosting was fluffy and delicate, topping off a bittersweet lemon-vanilla base.


Try three I upped the ante, ordering a ridiculous twosome, the Blueberry Peach Bellini and Oh My Bacon. I was hoping they'd mess it up, pleading for a double punch to my taste buds that would send me back to my doughnut craving ways. Mess it up they did, but only with cupcake number one. The Blueberry Peach consisted of a thick, whipped cream style frosting (yuck) and boring cake filled with mushy fruit. It was, much to my joy, a total disappointment, especially the nasty cream on top, which lacked flavor and a pleasurable consistency. Fully ready to give up on the place and head over to Psycho Donuts, I took a bite of the Bacon offering and fell in love all over again. The cream cheese frosting paired perfectly with the smoky vanilla cake beneath, a cake littered with crumbled bacon bits. It made me forget the Bellini disaster ever happened, all while making me sick to my stomach (cream cheese frosting is nothing to play with, kids).


Frost, no matter how big the dud, always follows with a killer treat. I love this place without having tried their award winning, mind-blowing, flagship flavor, Apple Borscht. At this point, I can't imagine the severity my addiction will deepen to once I sample that treat. For now, my craving only burns, not rages, but that could change in the coming months. Show your solidarity with my waistline by giving this place a look. Cupcakes are officially a part of my life now, and I think they're here to stay.


Frost Cupcake Factory on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment